Rosemary A. Burk, Ph.D.
McEver Hall, Room 31
1701 North Boulder Avenue
Russellville AR 72801
- Ph.D., Biology/Environmental Science, University of North Texas, 2012.
Dissertation title: "Ecology and recolonization of benthic macroinvertebrates in a
groundwater-dependent stream in North-central Texas during a supra-seasonal drought."
- B.S., Dietetics & Biology, Texas Woman's University.
- Fall 2012
- Principles of Zoology
- Introduction to Biological Sciences
Ecology of benthic macroinvertebrates, use of aquatic biota to understand broad-scale geographical impacts of land uses, conservation of aquatic habitats, invertebrate life history adaptations to disturbance, and biogeography.
Sustainable use of natural resources, water scarcity, groundwater conservation.
- American Water Resources Association, National and Arkansas Chapter
- American Fisheries Society, National and Arkansas Chapter
- Ecological Society of America
- Society for Freshwater Science
- Southwestern Association of Naturalists
- Burk, R.A. & Kallberg, J. (2012). Rule of Capture and Urban Sprawl: A Potential Federal Financial Risk in Groundwater-Dependent Areas. International Journal of Water Resource Development. Published online May 8, 2012. (DOI:10.1080/07900627.2012.683765)
- Burk, R.A. & Kallberg, J. (2012). Online Accountability and Transparency in Sustainable Green Business. Sustainability - The Journal of Record. Vol. 5(2), 85-88.
Peer- Reviewed Publications- Under Review
- Burk, R.A. & Kennedy, J.H. (2012). Invertebrate communities of groundwater-dependent refugia with varying hydrology and riparian cover during a supra-seasonal drought.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Conference Proceedings and Oral Presentations
- Burk, R. A. November 2012. An analysis of groundwater-dependent urban sprawl and declining groundwater levels in the Upper Trinity Aquifer of north-central Texas. American Water Resources Association, Jacksonville, Florida. http://www.awra.org/meetings/Jacksonville2012/doc/PP/Sess%2042%20abs.pdf
- Burk, R. A. & J. H. Kennedy. May 2012. Recolonization of aquatic invertebrates following extreme drought in a perennial stream and life history attributes of species restricted to lotic habitats. Society for Freshwater Science, Louisville, Kentucky. http://www.freshwater-science.org/Other-Publications/NABStracts/2012/RECOLONIZATION-OF-AQUATIC-INVERTEBRATES-FOLLOWING-.aspx
- Burk, R. A., J. Kallberg, & J. H. Kennedy. September 2010. Spring-fed stream benthic macroinvertebrate communities as early biological indicators of groundwater tipping points. World Water Week, Stockholm, Sweden. Abstract Volume: Responding to Global Changes: The Water Quality Challenge –Prevention, Wise Use and Abatement, page 349-350. http://www.siwi.org/documents/Resources/Synthesis/Abstract_Volume_2010.pdf
- Burk, R. A.& J. H. Kennedy. June 2010. Patch dynamics of hydrologically distinct refugia: recolonization of benthic macroinvertebrates after a record drought in a spring-fed semi-arid landscape. Joint international meeting of the North American Benthological Society and American Society of Limnology and Oceanography, Santa Fe, New Mexico. https://www.benthos.org/Other-Publications/NABStracts/2010/7389.aspx
Refereed Journals- Book Reviews
- Field Guide to Freshwater Invertebrates of North America. (2012) Book Reviews. Freshwater Science: September 2012, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 1016-1017.
- Malformed frogs: the collapse of aquatic ecosystems. (2012)Book Reviews. Western North American Naturalist, In press.
Recent Extramurally- Funded Research Projects
- Grand Prairie Municipal Landfill Wetland Study, August 2009- January 2010. Responsible for field sampling, supervising student workers in processing of benthic samples, mounting and identification of larval Chironomidae, and writing final report.
- City of Denton, Watershed Best Management Practices Implementation (State of Texas 319 Grant), April – July 2008. Responsible for programming and maintaining ISCO samplers that collected run-off from city construction sites and city dog park. Water samples were analyzed to determine effectiveness of BMPs in reducing total suspended solids and total fecal coliforms.
- Burk, R. A., Randklev, C.R., & Kennedy, J.H. (2010). Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Status of zebra mussels, an invasive freshwater mollusk, in Sister Grove Creek, Texas.
- Burk, R. A. & Kennedy, J.H. (2010). Grand Prairie Municipal Landfill, Wetland Mitigation Macroinvertebrate Assessment and Colonization Study.
- Kennedy, J. H. & Burk, R.A. (2005 & 2006) Dallas/ Fort Worth International Airport, Environmental Management Department, Stream Habitat Assessment and Macroinvertebrate Bioassessment.
- Kennedy, J. H. et al. (2005). Texas Army National Guard (TXARNG). Insect Biodiversity Study (2002-2005), Fort Camp Bowie (Brown Co., TX). J.H. Kennedy & R.A. Burk, Chapters on Hymenoptera, Neuroptera and Lepidoptera.
- Kennedy, J. H. et al. (2005). Texas Army National Guard (TXARNG). Insect Biodiversity Study (2002-2005), Fort Wolters (Parker Co., TX). 2005. J. H. Kennedy & R. A. Burk, Chapters on Hymenoptera, Neuroptera and Lepidoptera.